Audio-Technica announced their brand new 5040 Cardioid Condenser Vocal Microphone at the 133rd AES Convention this past weekend. I'm a big fan of their AT4050 Microphone and used/owned one for many years. (Found a good home for it last year with a horn player). So I'm very curious to hear what the 5040 sounds like.
"The AT5040 represents a milestone in condenser design, offering remarkably musical high-fidelity performance, with profound realism and depth, presence and purity of sound.
Designed as a first-choice vocal microphone, the AT5040 features an extremely smooth top end with controlled sibilance. Large-diaphragm characteristics and fast transient response also make it ideal for recording acoustic instruments such as piano, guitar, strings and saxophone."
- Extremely musical high-fidelity performance, with profound realism and depth, presence and purity of sound
- Four rectangular diaphragms (2 micron) function together as Audio-Technica’s largest-ever element, providing combined surface area twice that of a standard circular one-inch diaphragm
- Exceptionally low noise and wide dynamic range ideal for studio vocals
- Discrete components carefully selected for optimized capsule performance
- High-SPL capability and extended frequency response
- Hand built and inspected for 100% quality control
- Advanced internal shock mounting decouples the capsule from the microphone body
- Elegant, durable housing of aluminium and brass
- Included advanced-design custom AT8480 shock mount provides superior isolation
- Custom hard-shell carrying case with die-cut foam compartments offers protection during storage and transport
- Element: Fixed-charge back plate, permanently polarized condenser
- Polar pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency response: 20 – 20,000 Hz
- Impedance: 50 ohms
- Open circuit sensitivity: –25 dB (56.2 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa*
- Maximum input sound level: 142 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D.
- Noise: 5 dB SPL
- Dynamic range (typical): 137 dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL
- Signal-to-noise ratio: 89 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa*
- Phantom power requirements: 48V DC, 3.8 mA typical
- Weight: 582 g (20.5 oz)
- Dimensions: 165.3 mm (6.51'') long, 57.0 mm (2.24'') maximum body diameter
- Output connector: Integral 3-pin XLRM-type
- Accessories furnished: AT8480 shock mount for 5/8"-27 threaded stands; protective carrying case