The name API is synonymous with great sonics and UA's new API Vision Channelstrip for the UAD-2 platform is no exception. It's included with the UAD 7.3 software update which I downloaded and then tried the demo on a mix I was doing.
(Tip: Its a good idea to have a clone of your system drive to test new software/updates etc. so if there are any crippling issues you're not left with a non-working system.)
Within a few minutes I was able to get a sound I liked and I can see adding this to my list of must have channelstrip plugins. (I use the UAD SSL E and 88RS religiously.) It comes with tons of presets to get you started and here's an actual setting I used on a mix. I added sheen, midrange presence and low end without boominess plus some sonic glue with the compressor section. (The compression is a bit drastic but sounded great.)
- Faithful channel strip emulation from API's flagship Vision analog console
- Comprised of five distinct modules: 212L Mic Preamp, 215L High/Low Cut Filters, 235L Gate/Expander, 225L Compressor/Limiter, and 550L 4-Band Equalizer
- Models custom 2520 API op-amp and transformers with circuit nonlinearities
- Allows recording in real time via Apollo interface (sub-2ms latency) and/or mixing workflows via UAD-2 hardware
- Offers more than 70 artist presets from Joe Chiccarelli, Neil Dorfsman, David Isaac, Nathaniel Kunkel and John Paterno
Take a look at this video review from our good friend Russ Hughes over at Protools Expert. He explains each section of the API Vision and shows it in actual use:
Cost $299 on UA's website.
NOTE: At the time of posting the 7.3 update is temporarily unavailable on the website. Hopefully it will be back up soon.