When I mix I often use similar tracks in the same genre as a reference by importing, level matching and then manually switching between the tracks and the current mix.
SampleMagic's MAGIC AB is going to make things a lot easier. It's is a new reference tool that's "an easy-to-use but powerful utility plugin which allows you to switch between the audio you are working on in your DAW and up to nine reference tracks with the click of a mouse." The plugin is available for both Mac and Windows in VST/Audio Unit (Mac only) and RTAS/AAX formats. Magic AB uses virtually no CPU resources and can be placed on the stereo buss or individual tracks as needed.
- Perform instant AB references: to compare the track you are working on in your DAW with any commercially produced reference track in a variety of audio formats (mp3, aiff, wav, m4a etc).
- Like the sound of a reference? No problems – import your chosen reference track/s into Magic AB and then flick between them and your own in-progress track using a single mouse click.
- Hone in on the details: play/cue the reference track from the precise point you want to hear and loop the section you want to focus on – there’s no need for tiresome rewinding and endless internal waveform navigation.
- Compare multiple mixes quickly and simply: create and save your own ‘go-to’ playlists to radically speed up mixing and mastering.
- Balance the relative volume of mixes with extensive, accurate, easy-to-read metering – particularly useful for ciritical mastering sessions. The clear, ergonomically designed GUI with bold waveform display means you’re always comparing like with like.
- Give your ears a chance to recalibrate with manually changeable crossfade times. Flip in an instant, or allow a transitions of up to 2000ms.
Take a look at the introductory video:
Cost £19.90/$30.51 at SampleMagic.com