Today's post includes a review from my good friend and fellow engineer/producer Giandre Diaz who recently purchased an SSL Nucleus for his studio based in Trinidad. The Nucleus is a DAW Controller equipped with 2 preamps identical to the ones used in their flagship Duality console.
"The SSL Nucleus is a compact, portable desktop unit that creates a comfortable, efficient, hands on operating environment for DAW based Music and Film/TV Post production. It provides everything you need to record and monitor audio and to control your DAW quickly and efficiently without resorting to your mouse. Nucleus streamlines your workflow and helps you focus on your sound, not your screen."
I spent a few hours using the Nucleus with Giandre's mobile setup here in Miami when he first acquired it and found it fairly simple to use. All the functions worked as expected and being able to access plugins directly from the Nucleus was a definite plus. I asked him to give me a review of the unit once he got it fully integrated into his studio.
Here is Giandre's review of the SSL Nucleus:
I did use the SSL audio interface and it sounds good, dynamic and clean with full frequency range reproduction and no noticeable added hype to any part of the audio spectrum. However that was just curiosity because I also work with an UA Apollo. The Nucleus Sound Control Panel software though simple looking is workable and easy to manipulate.
The banks of 8 are very nice, the faders are spaced beautifully with great touch response. Both touch and onscreen response has no visual lag and I have been able to adjust faders with great accuracy. When scrolling through tracks in Protools fader response and displays are updated immediately, very impressive.
I hope anyone considering a DAW controller will find this review helpful.
SSL Nucleus Features:
- Ethernet connected DAW Controller re-defines the professional project studio
- Compatible with ProTools, Logic, Cubase/Nuendo and all major DAW applications
- Switch between 3 connected DAW’s with a single button press
- Two banks of 8 channel controls plus centre section controls
- Touch sensitive 100mm motorised faders
- Digital Scribble Strips with assignable V-Pots and soft keys
- Completely user customisable DAW & Key Command mapping
- Remote Logictivity Browser for effortless configuration
- SD card for non volatile project storage
- Large heavy duty transport buttons and high quality jog/shuttle wheel
- Excellent visual feedback via self illuminating buttons, LED’s and DAW Level Metering
- A unique audio nerve centre for your project studio
- Benchmark SuperAnalogue™ quality output to separate +4dBu & -10dBV connections
- High quality USB audio interface (44.1kHz - 192kHz, 24 Bit)
- Two Combi XLR mic/line/instrument level inputs to audio interface and monitor outputs
- Digital S/PDIF I/O to the AD/DA of the audio interface
- Zero latency Rec monitoring with wet/dry control to balance input and DAW playback
- SSL SuperAnalogue™ Mic Pre’s’, identical to those used on SSL Duality and AWS consoles
- Mic inputs have 80Hz High Pass Filters, Phase Reverse and Phantom Power
- Insert send/return connections switched between inputs and DAW playback for mixdown
- Additional ‘external’ SuperAnalogue™ input monitor path for another audio interface
- Two headphone outputs and one iJack monitor input
- Standard 1/4” Jack footswitch connection
- Four USB sockets for use as a 4 port USB hub
$5149 at Sweetwater Sound