JCF Audio's DA8-V sounds like the best of both worlds. The ultimate Digital/Analog hybrid.
tube line stage that was inspired by the Ampex 351 reproduce circuitry.
The Ampex 350 tape machines were considered the Holy Grail of tape recorders back in the 50's and 60's.
Here's two pics of the 351 used on Elvis Presley:
JCF's DA8-V uses the industry standard AES/EBU protocol on a DB25 connector with an additional DB25 "thru" connector.
The AES/EBU DB25’s follow the
“tascam” pinout and operates in single-wire mode at all sample rates
. The DA8-V derives its sync source from the incoming AES/EBU stream and
has two analog outputs. Each coming from two separate, floating sources (with factory
configuration). This comes in handy when the outputs of the DA8-V must be connected
to multiple devices.
- Ampex 351 inspired output stage
- Simple self-clocking operation @ all frequencies
- 1 additional courtesy turn-around DB25 AES port
- ~20dB front panel calibration range control
- Sensible output stage current for good performance and long tube life
- Cinemag CM9600-T output transformer
- Uses common tubes 12AX7, 12AU7
- Ships with 5′ standard AES crossover cable
- 1 year limited warranty
|Number of Channels||8|
|Digital Input||110 Ohm transformer coupled AES/EBU compatible Single-Wire Operation Only|
|Output Impedence||< 40hms|
|Minimum Recommended Load||600 Ohms or greater|
|Maximum Output Level||+32dBu rms|
|Distortion||<.01% @ +4dBu, 0.025 % @ +28dBu|
|Noise||-70dBu (BW lim 80kHz)|
|Power Supplies||2 external (1 analog, 1 digital) ~100W idle cons.|
|Tube Compliment||8 x 12AX7 – 8 x 12AU7 – 1 x 5R4|
$6750 at Mercenary Audio