The Dual Atomic Squeezebox from innerTUBE Audio is a stereo compressor/limiter capable of drastic gain reduction with minimal artifacts. It's equally at home on the stereo buss, drum buss, background vocals or individual sounds. It's a solidly built, high end unit with great sonics that has become an industry standard.
From their Press Release:
"Two Atomic Squeeze Box’s are combined in one convenient and compact package. They may be operated independently or switched to Stereo mode. The Atomic Squeeze Box is a full-band, dual-triode tube-based, analog signal amplitude processor. Its unique circuitry provides a wide range of automatic level control while imparting virtually none of the sonic artifacts that are usually associated with conventional compression and limiting. Even with steep ratios and low thresholds, the ASB remains incredibly transparent in operation. In the Stereo mode, the side chains are coupled and the setting of the longest release time adjustment sets the release time. Our innovative new (!) design virtually tracks the program envelope for its release function with the same accuracy and agility that it tracks for the attack function. Whether your need is taming an out-of-control vocalist, bass player, or just some very, very smooth level control; the Atomic Squeeze Box will open your eyes to a whole new horizon of smooth audio delights. The tube-based circuitry and custom nickel-core audio transformers impart a warmth and richness to the program that reminds us of the glorious sound of the finest analog audio. The distortion is very low, typically under 0.1%, even with 20 dB of gain reduction!"
Here's an excerpt from an '05 MixMagazine review:
"The Dual Atomic Squeeze Box put a heightened point on kick and snare drum tracks, which — when the processed results were combined with the dry source tracks — really made the drums rock. Amazingly, I could hear no pumping of the snare track's hi-hat bleed, even with up to 20 dB of gain reduction!
On quadruple-tracked background vocals, dialing in a very fast attack, very slow release and high slope slammed the tracks with more than 20 dB of gain reduction without thinning their tone — just what this arrangement needed for the background vocals to sit unobtrusively at ear-candy level in the subsequent mix.
Next up was electric guitar, blowing through a cabinet miked with a Royer R-122. Setting very fast attack and release times and sky-high slope for 8 dB of gain reduction on peaks, the sound was dynamite — warm, crunchy and in-your-face, but again, with no hint of pumping.
The unit also lent excellent dynamics control — characteristically not unlike that provided by an opto-compressor — to lead vocals. I heard some loss of depth with 6 dB of gain reduction, but no pumping.
The Dual Atomic Squeeze Box sounded really incredible on stereo room mics for drums. Dialing in 10 dB of gain reduction — using ultra-fast attack and release times and a high slope setting — produced absolutely slammin' tracks. But what amazed me was that there was only very mild pumping on crash cymbal hits. The unit's Link switch kept the stereo image rock-solid."
- Dual-Triode Tube Circuitry
- Gain Reduction to 20 dB +
- Dual Mono / Stereo Operation
- Low Distortion & Low Noise
- Ultra Smooth Release
- Gain Reduction 0 to over 20 dB of compression
- Modes: Two independent mono units, or may be switched to Stereo Mode with release time common.
- Attack Adjustment Continuously Variable, from molasses to lightning
- Slope Adjustment Continuously Variable, from linear to approximately 30 to 1
- Release Adjustment Continuously Variable, with automatic envelope tracking
- Total Harmonic Distortion < 0.1% THD, with 20 dB compression
- Noise Floor: > 85 dB below 0 VU
- Frequency Response ± 1.0 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz @ +4 dBm, -3dB 15 Hz and 90 kHz
- Input Level -20 dBm to + 20 dBm
- Output Level / Meter Calibration 0 VU = +4 dBm
- Input Impedance Nominally 2,200 ohms, floating (transformer isolated)
- Output Impedance Design to be loaded 600 ohms or greater, floating (transformer isolated)
- Panel Size 2U, (2 rack spaces)
- Depth behind Front Panel 12 inches
- Connectors In / Out Audio on 3-pin XLR, pin 2 hot
- AC power via IEC Type III
- Power Supply Housed in a separate module, 8 x 6 x 3 inches, interconnected with a multi-pin cable / connector, Fuse 1.2 ampere, 3AG (120 VAC model)
- Power Requirement 50 watts @ 117 VAC
- Export Model 240 VAC (available on special order)
- Tube Complement 4 x 6SL7, and 4 x 6SN7
- Warranty 90 days on parts, labor and tubes. All the other parts are warranted for 5 years, misuse and abuse excepted.
- Shipping Weight 25 pounds
$6745 at Vintage King Audio