Ilpo Karkkainen of resoundsound.com sent me an email announcing a free new VST/AU EQ plugin called the TDR VOS SlickEQ.
From his review:
" The TDR VOS SlickEQ is a mixing/mastering equalizer designed for ease of use, musical flexibility and impeccable sound. The plugin is a collaboration of three very talented people: Herbert Goldberg (of Variety of Sound), Fabien Schivre (Tokyo Dawn) and VladislavGoncharov (Tokyo Dawn/Vldag Sound). You might know these guys previously from plugins like TDR Feedback Compressor, VOS Thrillseeker and Vldag Molot just to mention a few. There’s no need to say this but I’m going to say it anyway: these guys know what they’re doing. Hearing they are putting their great minds together to work on a free plugin was just fantastic news for me, and the results didn’t disappoint ".
From the manual:
The TDR VOS SlickEQ plugin is available for Windows as VST and VST/AU for Mac. You can get it on the TDR VOS SlickEQ download page.For Protools users who would like to try this plugin or any other VST plugin take a look at this post on Protools Expert where they list 7 ways to host VST Plugins in Protools:
"In order to “warm up” the material with additional harmonic content, SlickEQ offers a switchable EQ non- linearity and an output stage with 3 different saturation models. These options are meant to offer subtle and interesting textures, rather than obvious distortion. The effect is made to add the typical “mojo” often associated with high quality analogue audio gear"
- A clever auto gain function that automatically compensates for changes of perceived loudness during EQ operation.
- Mid/Side operating mode.
- Four distinct EQ models: “American”, “British”, “German” and “Soviet” with optional non-linearity.
- Four output saturation stages: “Linear”, “Silky”, “Mellow” and “Deep”.
- Easy to use A/B comparison feature.
- Support for mouse wheel adjustments (doesn’t sound like much but it’s always a big one for me)
- Advanced 64bit multirate processing scheme that eliminates typical problems of digital EQ implementations such as frequency-warping, quantization distortion and aliasing.
- Clean, user-friendly interface.
Here's a short preview of the presets and EQ modes of the TDR VOS SlickEQ:
The TDR VOS SlickEQ plugin is available for Windows as VST and VST/AU for Mac. You can get it on the TDR VOS SlickEQ download page.