Don't be fooled by the term "freeware" when it comes to the u-he TyrellN6. It is a full fledged soft synth designed at the behest of Amazona.de, a German Online Magazine.
From u-he's website:
"A reader survey and follow-on forum posts provided a pool of ideas for a low-cost HARDWARE analogue synth, which Mic 'Moogulator' Irmer collected and used to develop quite a powerful concept. Based on a design similar to Roland's classic Juno 60, a few modules and novel features could be added without making the product too expensive...
However, it soon became obvious that developing the hardware would have taken years, so I (Urs) offered to turn the core design into a freeware softsynth. That was late 2010. Only a few weeks later, TyrellN6 was out for beta testing! After some serious bug-fixing and fine tuning, the final release version became available in April 2011. "
I downloaded and tried the TyrellN6 on a project and was impressed with the quality and quantity of infinitely tweakable patches that are included.
- new skin designed for Amazona.de by Ryo Ishido
- smooth overdrive in the oscillator mixer
- filter output can be fed back into the mixer
- unison mode, with voice index modulation source
- envelopes can be looped or triggered via LFO
- envelopes retrigger just like classic hardware
- Current PC or intel Mac
- Multicore CPU with SSE2
- (Sandy Bridge architecture or newer recommended)
- Mac OSX 10.5 or newer
- Windows XP/Vista/7/8
- 1GB RAM, more recommended
- 30MB free disc space
- display 1200x800px and up
- OSX: VST2 or AU compatible host software
- Windows: VST2 compatible host software
- Supports 32bit and 64bit in all formats
- Pro Tools AAX in development
Make sure to check out the other excellent products offered on u-he's website.